Johanan (jōhāˈnăn) [key] [short form of Jehohanan], in the Bible. 1 Captain who led in the rescue of the captives of Ishmael. 2 Descendant of David. 3, 4 Two of David's men. 5 Chief priest. He also appears as Jonathan in the Book of Nehemiah. 6 Son of King Josiah. 7 Father of Azariah6. 8 Father of Azariah19. 9 Head of a family in the return from the Exile. 10 Son of Tobiah1.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Johanan from Infoplease:
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/johanan ben zakkai - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Kareah - Kareah Kareah , father of Johanan 1. The name is also spelled Careah.
- Jamnia - Jamnia Jamnia , biblical Jabneel and Jabneh [Heb.,=God causes to build], ancient city, central ...
- Gamaliel of Jabneh - Gamaliel of Jabneh Gamaliel of Jabneh , fl. A.D. 100, Jewish scholar; grandson of the Gamaliel who, ...
- Meshullam - Meshullam Meshullam , in the Bible. 1. Ancestor of Shaphan. 2. Son of Zerubbabel. 3. See ...