Jehoiada (jēhoiˈədə) [key], in the Bible. 1 High priest. He married Jehosheba, a princess of Judah, and together they saved the infant Jehoash. They led the conspiracy against Athaliah that put Jehoash on the throne (see Jehoash2). Jehoiada was buried with the kings of Judah. His son was Zechariah the martyr. 2 Priest and ally of David, father of Solomon's general Benaiah. At one point he is apparently called Benaiah's son. 3 Priest. 4 Worker on the wall of Jerusalem. 5 Priest who held office in Nehemiah's regime.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Jehoiada from Infoplease:
- Jehoiada: meaning and definitions - Jehoiada: Definition and Pronunciation
- Joiada: meaning and definitions - Joiada: Definition and Pronunciation
- Elishaphat - Elishaphat Elishaphat , in the Bible, one of the leaders who aided Jehoiada to place Joash on the ...
- Jehosheba - Jehosheba Jehosheba , in the Bible, daughter of King Jehoram of Judah and aunt of King Jehoash. She ...
- Jehohanan - Jehohanan Jehohanan , in the Bible. 1. Officer of Jehoshaphat. 2. Father of an officer of Jehoiada. ...