Hasting (hāˈstĭng) [key], fl. last half of 9th cent., leader of the Vikings, called Hasting the Pirate. He ravaged the coasts of France, Spain, and Italy, went into Morocco, plundered in the south of France, and took a fleet to England late in Alfred's reign.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Hasting from Infoplease:
- haste: meaning and definitions - haste: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hastings: meaning and definitions - Hastings: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hastings, city, New Zealand - Hastings Hastings, city (1996 pop. 58,495), SE North Island, New Zealand, close to Napier. It has ...
- Hastings, city, England - Hastings Hastings, city (1991 pop. 74,979) and district, East Sussex, SE England. A resort and ...
- Hastings, cities, United States - Hastings. Hastings. 1. City (1990 pop. 15,445), seat of Dakota co., SE Minn., on the Vermillion ...