Gustavus V, 1858–1950, king of Sweden (1907–50), son and successor of Oscar II. During his reign Sweden evolved toward political equality and economic prosperity and avoided military involvement in two world wars. He married (1881) Victoria of Baden. He was succeeded by his son, Gustavus VI.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Gustavus V from Infoplease:
- Gustavus V: meaning and definitions - Gustavus V: Definition and Pronunciation
- Gustavus VI: meaning and definitions - Gustavus VI: Definition and Pronunciation
- Gustavus VI - Gustavus VI Gustavus VI (Gustaf Adolf), 1882–1973, king of Sweden (1950–73), son and ...
- Oscar II - Oscar II Oscar II, 1829–1907, king of Sweden (1872–1907) and Norway (1872–1905), ...
- Count Folke Bernadotte - Bernadotte, Count Folke Bernadotte, Count Folke , 1895–1948, Swedish internationalist; nephew ...