Gaston de Foix
Foix, Gaston de (gästôNˈ də fwä) [key], 1489–1512, duc de Nemours, French general in the Italian Wars; nephew of King Louis XII. As commander of the French army in Italy in 1512, he proved his outstanding ability, making his small army highly effective by the use of surprise and forced marches. He relieved Bologna, defeated the Venetians at Isola della Scala and Brescia, and successfully laid siege to Ravenna, where he was killed.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Gaston de Foix from Infoplease:
- Gaston de Foix - Gaston de Foix: Gaston de Foix: see Foix, Gaston de.
- Nemours, Gaston de Foix, duc de - Nemours, Gaston de Foix, duc de: Nemours, Gaston de Foix, duc de: see Foix, Gaston de.
- Ravenna, city, Italy - Ravenna Ravenna , city (1991 pop. 135,844), capital of Ravenna prov., in Emilia-Romagna, N central ...
- Louis XII, king of France - Louis XII Louis XII, 1462–1515, king of France (1498–1515), son of Charles, duc ...
- Thunderbolt of Italy - Thunderbolt of Italy Gaston de Foix, nephew of Louis XII. (1489-1512.) Source: Dictionary of Phrase ...