Danilova, Alexandra (dänēˈlōvä) [key], 1904?–97, Russian-American ballerina. She entered (1923) the Imperial Ballet School, St. Petersburg, was a member (1924–29) of Diaghilev's Ballets Russes, and prima ballerina (1938-58) of the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo. She toured with her own company and, after retiring, lectured, choreographed, and taught dance. She taught at the School of American Ballet.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Alexandra Danilova from Infoplease:
- Alexandra Danilova - Alexandra Danilova ballerina, teacher An internationally recognized, versatile dancer known for her ...
- Danilova: meaning and definitions - Danilova: Definition and Pronunciation
- Capezio Dance Awards - Capezio Dance Awards The Capezio Dance Awards, presented annually by the Capezio/Ballet Makers ...
- Recipients of Kennedy Center Honors - Recipients of Kennedy Center Honors The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C., ...
- November 20 Birthdays: Robert F. Kennedy - November 20 birthdays: Robert F. Kennedy, John Bolton, Richard Dawson, Alistair Cooke, Alexandra Danilova, Norman M. Thomas, Kenesaw Mountain Landis, Robert C Byrd, Edwin Hubble, Nadine Gordimer