Bing, Rudolf (rōˈdŏlf bĭng) [key], 1902–97, Austrian operatic manager. Naturalized a British subject in 1946, he was general manager of the Glyndebourne operatic festivals (1934–49) and artistic manager of the Edinburgh International Festival (1947–49). He became general manager of the Metropolitan Opera in New York in 1950. Bing was knighted in 1971 and retired the following year.
See his 5000 Nights at the Opera (1972).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Rudolf Bing from Infoplease:
- bing: meaning and definitions - bing: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sir Rudolf Bing - Sir Rudolf Bing former general manager of the Metropolitan Opera Bing, who ran the Met from 1950 to ...
- Sir Rudolf Bing - Sir Rudolf Bing opera impresario Born: 1/9/1902 Birthplace: Vienna, Austria Famous for his acerbic ...
- Edward Johnson - Johnson, Edward Johnson, Edward, 1881–1959, Canadian tenor and operatic manager, b. Guelph, ...
- Metropolitan Opera Company - Metropolitan Opera Company Metropolitan Opera Company, term used in referring collectively to the ...