Athaliah (ăthˌəlĪˈə) [key]. 1 The only queen to occupy the throne of Judah, daughter of Ahab of Israel, wife of Jehoram 2 of Judah, and mother of Ahaziah2 of Judah, whom she succeeded. She had the males of the royal family murdered, but her stepdaughter Jehosheba hid away a baby son of Ahaziah. Some years later, Jehosheba and her husband Jehoiada1 effected a coup in favor of this baby, Jehoash2. Athaliah they killed. These events are the subject of Racine's Athalie. 2 Benjamite. 3 Father of one who returned with Ezra.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Athaliah from Infoplease:
- Athaliah: meaning and definitions - Athaliah: Definition and Pronunciation
- Joash: meaning and definitions - Joash: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jehoiada - Jehoiada Jehoiada , in the Bible. 1. High priest. He married Jehosheba, a princess of Judah, and ...
- Jezebel - Jezebel Jezebel , in the First Book of Kings, Phoenician princess who was the wife of King Ahab and ...
- Ahaziah - Ahaziah Ahaziah , in the Bible. 1. King of Israel, son of Ahab. He was a worthy successor of his ...