Samnium (sămˈnēəm) [key], ancient country of central and S Italy, mostly in the S Apennines. It was E of Campania and Latium and NE of Apulia.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Samnium from Infoplease:
- Samnium: meaning and definitions - Samnium: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/samnium - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Lucania - Lucania Lucania , ancient region of S Italy. It was bounded on the east by the Gulf of Tarentum ...
- Benevento - Benevento Benevento , city (1991 pop. 62,561), capital of Benevento prov., in Campania, S Italy. It ...
- Samnites - Samnites Samnites , people of ancient Italy. Their country was Samnium. The Samnites were ...