Batavi (bətāˈvĪ) [key], ancient Germanic tribe that settled (1st cent. B.C.) in the Rhine delta. Batavian regiments served under Rome, although this relationship was interrupted in A.D. 70 by the anti-Roman conspiracy of Civilis, one of their leaders. The tribal name was revived in 1795 to designate Holland, particularly the Batavian Republic.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Batavi from Infoplease:
- Batavian Republic - Batavian Republic Batavian Republic, name for the Netherlands in the years (1795–1806) ...
- Encyclopedia: Ancient History, Europe - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Ancient History, Europe.
- Batavia - Batavia The Netherlands; so called from the Batavi, a Celtic tribe who dwelt there. “Flat ...
- Netherlands - Learn about the history, geography and culture of the Netherlands and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Netherlands — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Netherlands: History - History The Rise of the Netherlands One of the Low Countries, the Netherlands did not have a ...