Milesians (mĭlēˈzhənz) [key], in Irish mythology, the ancestors of the present inhabitants of Ireland. The last invaders of ancient Ireland, they were said to have dwelt in Spain before attacking Ireland, where they defeated the Tuatha De Danann.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Milesians from Infoplease:
- Milesian: meaning and definitions - Milesian: Definition and Pronunciation
- Milesian school - Milesian school: Milesian school: see Ionian school.
- Ionian school - Ionian school Ionian school, pre-Socratic group of Greek philosophers of the 6th and 5th cent. ...
- Milesians - Milesians (The). The ancient Irish. The legend is that Ireland was once peopled by the Firbolgs, ...
- Milesian Fables - Milesian Fables The romances of Antonius Diogenes, described by Photius, but no longer extant. They ...