workhouse: see poor law.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on workhouse from Infoplease:
- poor law - poor law poor law, in English history, legislation relating to public assistance for the poor. ...
- workhouse: meaning and definitions - workhouse: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jack Sheppard - Sheppard, Jack Sheppard, Jack, 1702–24, English criminal. Raised in a workhouse, he ran away ...
- Bellevue Hospital - Bellevue Hospital Bellevue Hospital, municipal hospital, in New York City. America's oldest ...
- Lady Augusta Gregory - Gregory, Lady Augusta Gregory, Lady Augusta (Isabella Augusta Persse), 1859–1932, Irish ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Labor