Hypothetical stock, entered in “salted accounts,” to give a
colourable balance “to the good.” (Hebrew ziphr, a book.) (Vidocq: Les Voleurs, vol. ii. pp. 81, 87.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Zif from Infoplease:
- Zif: meaning and definitions - Zif: Definition and Pronunciation
- Zif - Zif Hypothetical stock, entered in “salted accounts,” to give a colourable balance ...
- Ziph - Ziph Ziph , in the Bible. 1. Judahite. 1 Chron. 4.16. 2. Unidentified city, S ancient Palestine. 3. ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Z, z za zabaglione Zabrze Zabulon zabuton Zacatecas Zach Zachariah Zacharias ...
- 1 Kings: 6 - And it came to pass in the four hundred…