The statues dispersed about the grounds on which the public
games of Greece were celebrated. They were the produce of fines imposed
on those who infringed the regulations.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Zanes from Infoplease:
- Zane: meaning and definitions - Zane: Definition and Pronunciation
- Billy Zane - Billy Zane (William George Zane, Jr.) actor Born: 2/24/1966 Birthplace: Chicago Zane made his film ...
- Zane Grey - Biography of Zane Grey, Author of Riders of the Purple Sage
- Ebenezer Zane - Zane, Ebenezer Zane, Ebenezer, 1747–1811, American pioneer and land speculator, b. near what ...
- Zane Grey - Grey, Zane Grey, Zane, 1872–1939, American writer of Western stories, b. Zanesville, Ohio, as ...