A great log of wood laid in ancient times across the
hearth-fire on Christmas Eve. This was done with certain ceremonies
and much merry-making. (Norwegian, juul, Christmas.)
Ever at Yuletide, when the great log flamed
In chimney corner, laugh and jest went round.
Towers, stanza 5
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Yule Log from Infoplease:
- yule log: meaning and definitions - yule log: Definition and Pronunciation
- Christmas Traditions - Why do we have Christmas trees and other xmas trivia
- Yule Log - Yule Log A great log of wood laid in ancient times across the hearth-fire on Christmas Eve. This ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index YTD ytterbia ytterbium yttria yttriferous yttrium yttrium metal yttrotantalite ...
- Winter Solstice for Kids - Dec. 21, 2012, 7:11 AM EST (11:11 UT), marks the solstice—the beginning of winter in the Northern Hemisphere and summer in the Southern Hemisphere
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring