(St.). Patron saint of bakers, being
himself of the craft. (634-709.)
St. Wilfrid's Needle is a narrow passage
in the crypt of Ripon cathedral, built by Odo, Archbishop of
Canterbury, and used to try whether virgins deserve the name or not.
It is said that none but virgins can pass this ordeal.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Wilfrid from Infoplease:
- Saint Wilfrid - Wilfrid, Saint Wilfrid, Saint, 634–709?, English churchman, b. Northumbria, of noble ...
- Sir Wilfrid Laurier - Laurier, Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Sir Wilfrid , 1841–1919, Canadian prime minister. He studied ...
- Mellers: meaning and definitions - Mellers: Definition and Pronunciation
- Laurier: meaning and definitions - Laurier: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pelletier: meaning and definitions - Pelletier: Definition and Pronunciation