A hunt after a mare's nest. This chase has two defects: First,
it is very hard to catch the goose; and, secondly, it is of very
little worth when it is caught.
To lead one a wild-goose chase. To
beguile one with false hopes, or put one on the pursuit of something
not practicable, or at any rate not worth the chase.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Wild-goose Chase from Infoplease:
- wild-goose chase: meaning and definitions - wild-goose chase: Definition and Pronunciation
- Wild-goose Chase - Wild-goose Chase A hunt after a mare's nest. This chase has two defects: First, it is very hard ...
- Rex Warner - Warner, Rex Warner, Rex, 1905–86, English author, b. Birmingham, grad. Oxford, 1928. A ...
- Kamikaze 1989 - Starring Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Gunther Kaufmann, Boy Gobert, Arnold Marquis, Richy Muller
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index WH-question whr. whse. whsle. whs. stk. whump whup WH-word why Whyalla whydah ...