(London) obtained its name from the white and fresh appearance
of the front, compared with the ancient buildings in York Place.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Whitehall from Infoplease:
- Whitehall, street, London, England - Whitehall Whitehall, street in Westminster borough, London, England. Because of the many British ...
- Whitehall: meaning and definitions - Whitehall: Definition and Pronunciation
- Whitehall, cities, United States - Whitehall. Whitehall. 1. City (1990 pop. 20,572), Franklin co., central Ohio, a suburb of Columbus; ...
- Whitehall - Whitehall (London) obtained its name from the white and fresh appearance of the front, compared ...
- Scene 2: A Chamber in Whitehall. - The Complete Poetical Works of Percy Bysshe Shelleyby Percy Bysshe Shelley Scene 1: The Masque of ...