is Anglo-Saxon, and means a pledge. The
ring is the pledge given by the man to avouch that he will perform his
part of the contract.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Wed from Infoplease:
- Wedding Quotations - Quotations concerning marriage and weddings
- Weddings: dresses, traditions, quotations, cakes, movies, and more - Find information about weddings, wedding traditions, wedding dresses, honeymoon destinations, marriage quotations and movies, marriage statistics, and more.
- Wedding Movies - A history of wedding movies
- Wedding Lore and Traditions - An explanation of wedding traditions
- Green Weddings - Taking the environment into consideration when planning weddings.