The dark rim round the eyes after much weeping. A peculiar
appearance in a rainbow which indicates more rain at hand.
“Gall” is the Anglo-Saxon gealew
And round about her tear-distainëd eye
Blue circles streamed, like rainbows in the sky;
These watergalls ... foretell new storms.
Rape of Lucrecs.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Water-gall from Infoplease:
- Water-gall - Water-gall The dark rim round the eyes after much weeping. A peculiar appearance in a rainbow which ...
- Jeremiah: 8 - At that time, saith the LORD, they shall bring…
- Jeremiah: 9 - Oh that my head were waters, and mine eyes a…
- Jeremiah: 23 - Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter…
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: W - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "W"
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring