There were two Roman architects of this name. The one best
known was Marcus Vitruvius Pollio, who wrote a book on architecture.
The English Vitruvius.
Inigo Jones (1572-1652).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Vitruvius from Infoplease:
- Vitruvius - Vitruvius Vitruvius (Marcus Vitruvius Pollio), fl. late 1st cent. B.C. and early 1st cent. A.D., ...
- Vitruvius - Vitruvius There were two Roman architects of this name. The one best known was Marcus Vitruvius ...
- Agatharchus - Agatharchus Agatharchus , fl. 5th cent. B.C., Greek painter of the Athenian school, b. Samos. He is ...
- Renaissance: meaning and definitions - Renaissance: Definition and Pronunciation
- intercolumniation - intercolumniation intercolumniation , in classical architecture, the clear space between the edges ...