An instrument used in convents to lead the virginals or hymns
to the Virgin. It was a quilled keyboard instrument of two or three
octaves, common in the reign of Elizabeth.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Virginal from Infoplease:
- virginal: meaning and definitions - virginal: Definition and Pronunciation
- Virgo - Virgo Virgo [Lat.,=the virgin], constellation lying on the ecliptic (the sun's apparent path ...
- spinet - spinet spinet, musical instrument of the harpsichord family. Although the terms virginal and ...
- Organic Act Day: Virgin Islands - Organic Act Day in Vermont commemorates the organization of government there.|Celebrating a new constitution
- Liberty Day: U.S. Virgin Islands - Celebrating the life and work of David Hamilton Jackson.|Celebrating the life and work of David Hamilton Jackson