(The), in Longfellow's poem, we are told in an American
newspaper, was Henry Francis Moore, of Medford, Massachusetts, born
1830. But as the Village Blacksmith was published in 1842, this
impossible, as Moore was not then twelve years of age, and could not
have had a grown-up daughter who sang in the village choir.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Village Blacksmith from Infoplease:
- Village Blacksmith - Village Blacksmith (The), in Longfellow's poem, we are told in an American newspaper, was Henry ...
- Élie Joseph Cartan - Cartan, Élie Joseph Cartan, Élie Joseph , 1869–1951, French mathematician. The ...
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - Biography of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, The American poet who wrote "Paul Revere's Ride"
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807–82, American poet, b. Portland, ...
- Patten - Patten Martha or Patty, says Gay, was the daughter of a Lincolnshire farmer, with whom the village ...