Swift, in his early life, professed to have an attachment to
Miss Jane Waryng, and Latinised her name into Varina. (See Vanessa.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Varina from Infoplease:
- Varina - Varina Swift, in his early life, professed to have an attachment to Miss Jane Waryng, and Latinised ...
- Jefferson Davis: Early Life - Early Life Davis's parents moved to Mississippi when he was a boy. He was given a classical ...
- Jimmy Dean - Biography of Jimmy Dean, No stranger to hard work, Jimmy Dean grew up on a Texas farm. After dropping out of school at age 16 and serving in the merchant marine and …
- Jefferson Davis - Biography of Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: V - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "V"