A fair established by Beelzebub, Apollyon, and Legion, for the
sale of all sorts of vanities. It was held in the town of Vanity, and
lasted all the year round. Here were sold houses, lands, trades,
places, honours, preferments, titles, countries, kingdoms, lusts,
pleasures, and delights of all sorts. (Bunyan: Pilgrim's Progress,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Vanity Fair from Infoplease:
- Vanity Fair: meaning and definitions - Vanity Fair: Definition and Pronunciation
- Vanity Fair - Starring Reese Witherspoon, James Purefoy, Natasha Little, Eileen Atkins, Jim Broadbent
- Louisa May Alcott: Meg Goes to Vanity Fair - "I do think it was the most fortunate thing in the world that those children should have the measles just now," said Meg, one April day, as she stood
- Vanity Fair - Vanity Fair A fair established by Beelzebub, Apollyon, and Legion, for the sale of all sorts of ...
- 2000 National Magazine Awards - 2000 National Magazine Awards The National Magazine Awards, sponsored by the American Society of ...