(3 syl.). Whisky (Irish, uisge-beatha, water of life).
Similar to the Latin aqua vita, and the French cau de vie.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Usquebaugh from Infoplease:
- usquebaugh: meaning and definitions - usquebaugh: Definition and Pronunciation
- Usquebaugh - Usquebaugh (3 syl.). Whisky (Irish, uisge-beatha, water of life). Similar to the Latin aqua vita, ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index URL Urmia urn Ur-Nammu urnfield uro- urochord urochordate urochrome Ur of the ...
- Whisky - Whisky Contracted from the Gaelic ooshk-'a-pai (water of health). Usquebaugh, Irish ...
- Eau de Vie - Eau de Vie Brandy. A French translation of the Latin aqua vitæ (water of life). This is a ...