The thirty-six states of North America composing the Federal
Republic. Each state is represented in the Federal Congress by two
senators, and a number of representatives proportionate to the number
of inhabitants. The nickname of a United States man is “a Brother
Jonathan,” and of the people in the aggregate “Brother Jonathan” (q.v.). Declared their independence July 4th, 1776.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on United States from Infoplease:
- United States: meaning and definitions - United States: Definition and Pronunciation
- Americanization - Americanization Americanization, term used to describe the movement during the first quarter of the ...
- Map Library - state maps printables maps united states continents regional maps capitals
- American - American American, river, 30 mi (48 km) long, rising in N central Calif. in the Sierra Nevada and ...
- U.S. - Cities and states, US maps and geography, U.S. government and military, disasters, current and national events. An overview of the United States of America