In Turkey, either a member of the college or the college
itself. The Ulema consists of the imaums, muftis, and cadis (ministers
of religion, doctors of law, and administrators of justice). “Ulema” is
the plural of ulim, a wise man.
“The Ulema is not an ecclesiastical body, except so far as law in
Mahometan countries is based on the Koran.” —Creasy: Ottoman Turks, vi. 105.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ulema from Infoplease:
- ulema: meaning and definitions - ulema: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ulema - Ulema In Turkey, either a member of the college or the college itself. The Ulema consists of the ...
- ulama: meaning and definitions - ulama: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index U, u uakari UAM ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono u. and l.c. UAW U.B. Ubangi ...
- Sarajevo - Sarajevo Sarajevo , city (1991 est. pop. 529,000), capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina, on the ...