The drawing for king and queen is a relíc of the Roman
Saturnalia. At the close of this festival the Roman children drew lots
with beans to see who would be king. Twelfth Day is twelve days after
Christmas, or the Epiphany.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Twelfth Cake from Infoplease:
- Twelfth Cake - Twelfth Cake The drawing for king and queen is a relíc of the Roman Saturnalia. At the close ...
- King of the Bean - King of the Bean (roi de la fève). The Twelfth-night king: so called because he was chosen ...
- Bean - Bean Every bean has its black. Nemo sine vitiis nascitur, “everyone has his faults.” ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: T - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "T"
- The Second of the Three Spirits - A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens 2 - The First of the Three Spirits The Last of the Spirits - 4 ...