(Inquisitor-general of Spain, 1420-1498). A Dominican of
excessive zeal, who multiplied confiscations, condemnations, and
punishments to a frightful extent; and his hatred of the Jews and Moors
“General Strelnikoff was the greatest scoundrel who defiled the earth
since Torquemada.” —Stepniak: The Explosion of the Winter Palace,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Torquemada from Infoplease:
- Torquemada: meaning and definitions - Torquemada: Definition and Pronunciation
- Juan de Torquemada - Torquemada, Juan de Torquemada, Juan de , 1388–1468, Spanish churchman, cardinal of the Roman ...
- Tomás de Torquemada - Torquemada, Tomás de Torquemada, Tomás de , 1420–98, Spanish churchman and ...
- Torquemada - Torquemada (Inquisitor-general of Spain, 1420-1498). A Dominican of excessive zeal, who multiplied ...
- Isabella of Castile - Biography of Isabella of Castile, The queen who sponsored Christopher Columbus