(2 syl.). The tonsure of St. Peter consists in shaving
the crown and back of the head, so as to leave a ring or “crown” of
The tonsure of James
consists in shaving the entire front of the head. This is sometimes
called “the tonsure of Simon the Magician,” and sometimes “the Scottish
tonsure,” from its use in North Britain.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tonsure from Infoplease:
- tonsure - tonsure tonsure [Lat.,=to shave], formerly, practice in some Christian churches of cutting some of ...
- tonsure: meaning and definitions - tonsure: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/tonsure - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Tonsure - Tonsure (2 syl.). The tonsure of St. Peter consists in shaving the crown and back of the head, so ...
- Tonsures - Tonsures vary in size according to rank. For clerics the tonsure should be I inch in diameter. ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring