Tattle is prate. (Dutch tateren, Italian, tatta-mélla.) Tittle is little, same as tit in titmouse, little
“Pish' Why do I spend my time in tittle-tattle?”
Otway: Cheats of Scapin, i. 1.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tittle Tattle from Infoplease:
- tittle-tattle: meaning and definitions - tittle-tattle: Definition and Pronunciation
- Tittle Tattle - Tittle Tattle Tattle is prate. (Dutch tateren, Italian, tatta-mélla.) Tittle is little, same ...
- Cancan - Cancan To dance the cancan. A free-and-easy way of dancing quadrilles invented by Rigolboche, and ...
- Cigogne - Cigogne (French). A stork. Conte de la cigogne. An old wife's tale; silly tittle-tattle. ...
- Reduplicated - Reduplicated or Ricochet Words, of intensifying force. Chit-chat, click-clack, clitter-clatter, ...