The sun, so called by Ovid and Virgil.
And fleckëd Darkness like a drunkard reels
From forth Day's path and Titan's flery wheels.
Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet, ii. 3.
The children of Heaven and Earth, who, instigated by their mother,
deposed their father, and liberated from Tartaros their brothers the
Hundred-handed giants, and the Cyclopes. (Classic mythology.)
Titan's War with Jove
(The). The Titans set their brother Cronos on the throne
of heaven: and Zeus [Zuce] tried to dethrone him. The contest
lasted ten years, when Zeus became the conqueror and hurled the Titans
This must not be confounded with the war of the giants, which was a
revolt against Zeus, and was soon put down by the help of the other
gods and the aid of Hercules. (See Giants.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Titan from Infoplease:
- titanic: meaning and definitions - titanic: Definition and Pronunciation
- Titan - Titan Titan is remarkable because it is the only known moon in the solar system that has a ...
- Titan, in Greek religion and mythology - Titan Titan, in Greek religion and mythology, one of 12 primeval deities. The female Titan is also ...
- Titans - Titans NBC Wednesday 8:00–9:00 p.m.; moved to Monday; canceled Cast: Yasmine Bleeth, Casper ...
- Titanic - Titanic Director/Writer: James Cameron Director of Photography: Russell Carpenter Editor: Conrad ...