Iron rings to be put on or taken off a ring as a puzzle.
Light-foot calls them “tiring irons never to be untied.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tiring Irons from Infoplease:
- tire iron: meaning and definitions - tire iron: Definition and Pronunciation
- Tiring Irons - Tiring Irons Iron rings to be put on or taken off a ring as a puzzle. Light-foot calls them ...
- tired iron - tired iron: n. [IBM] Hardware that is perfectly functional but far enough behind the state of the ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index thwack thwart Thwing thy Thyatira Thyestes thylacine thylakoid thyme thymectomy ...
- rusty iron - rusty iron: n. Syn. tired iron. It has been claimed that this is the inevitable fate of water MIPS.