Blind as Tiresias. Tiresias the Theban by accident saw Athena
bathing, and the goddess struck him with blindness by splashing water
in his face. She afterwards repented doing so, and, as she could not
his sight, conferred on him the power of soothsaying, and gave him a
staff with which he could walk as safely as if he had his sight. He
found death at last by drinking from the well of Tilphosa.
Juno the truth of what was said denied,
Tiresias, therefore, must the cause decide.
Addison: Transformation of Tiresias.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tiresias from Infoplease:
- Tiresias - Tiresias Tiresias , in Greek mythology, a blind soothsayer who appears in many legends. According ...
- Tiresia - Starring Laurent Lucas, Clara Choveaux, Thiago Telès, Celia Catalifo, Lou Castel
- Tiresias: meaning and definitions - Tiresias: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/tiresias - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Tiresias - Tiresias Blind as Tiresias. Tiresias the Theban by accident saw Athena bathing, and the goddess ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring