(1 syl.) or Thonis. Governor of a province of Egypt. His
wife was Polydamnia. It is said by
post-Homeric poets that Paris took Helen to this province, and that
Polydamnia gave her a drug named nepenthes to make her forget her
sorrows, and fill her with joy.
Not that nepenthes which the wife of Thone
In Egypt gave to love-lorn Helena
Is of such power to stir up joy as this.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Thone from Infoplease:
- Charles THONE - Charles THONE (1924-Â ) THONE, Charles, a Representative from Nebraska; born in Hartington, ...
- Thone - Thone (1 syl.) or Thonis. Governor of a province of Egypt. His wife was Polydamnia. It is said by ...
- Nepenthe - Nepenthe (3 syl.) or Nepenthes, a drug to drive away care and superinduce love. Polydamna, wife of ...
- Members of Congress: Nebraska - Biographies of United States senators and representatives from Nebraska
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: T - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "T"