Throwing the thirteens about. A thirteen is an Irish shilling,
which, prior to 1825, was worth 13 pence, and many years after that
date, although reduced to the English standard, went by the name of
“thirteens.” When Members of Parliament were chaired after their
election, it was by no means unusual to carry a bag or two of
“thirteens,” and scatter the money amongst the crowd.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Thirteens from Infoplease:
- the Thirteen Colonies - Thirteen Colonies, the Thirteen Colonies, the, term used for the colonies of British North America ...
- Thirteen - Starring Evan Rachel Wood, Nikki Reed, Holly Hunter, Kip Pardue, Jeremy Sisto
- thirteen: meaning and definitions - thirteen: Definition and Pronunciation
- thirteen-lined ground squirrel: meaning and definitions - thirteen-lined ground squirrel: Definition and Pronunciation
- Thirteen Days - Starring Kevin Costner, Bruce Greenwood, Steven Culp, Dylan Baker, Tim Kelleher