Any rustic maiden. In the Idylls of Theocritos,
Thestylis is a young female slave.
And then in baste her bower she leaves,
With Thestylis to bind the sheaves.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Thestylis from Infoplease:
- Thestylis - Thestylis Any rustic maiden. In the Idylls of Theocritos, Thestylis is a young female slave. And ...
- Andrew Marvell: Ametas and Thestylis Making Hay-Ropes - Think'st Thou that this Love can stand, Whilst Thou still dost say me nay? Love unpaid does soon disband: Love binds Love as Hay binds Hay.
- Andrew Marvell: Selected Poems - Had we but World enough, and Time, This coyness Lady were no crime. We would sit down, and think which way To walk, and pass our long Loves Day. Thou
- Andrew Marvell: Clorinda and Damon - Damon come drive thy flocks this way.
- Andrew Marvell: A Dialogue Between Thyrsis and Dorinda - When Death, shall snatch us from these Kids, And shut up our divided Lids, Tell me Thyrsis, prethee do, Whither thou and I must go.