[the Bull ] indicates to the Egyptians the time for
ploughing the earth, which is done with oxen.
in Asia. In Judges xv. 3-19 we have an account of Samson and the
jawbone, but probably Chamor (translated an ass) was the name of
a hill or series of hills like Taurus, and should not have been
translated. Similarly, Lehi (translated a jawbone) is probably a
proper name also, and refers to a part of Chamor. If so, the meaning
is, When he (Samson) came to Lehi, the summit of Mount Chamor, seeing a
moist boulder, he broke it off and rolled it on his foes. Down it
bounded, crushing “heaps upon heaps” of the Philistines. Where the
boulder was broken off a spring of water jetted out, and with this
water Samson quenched his thirst.
What is now called the Mountain of St. Patrick was previously called
“Mount Eagle” - in Irish, Cruachan Aichle.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Taurus from Infoplease:
- Taurus, mountain chain, Turkey - Taurus Taurus , Turkish Toros, mountain chain, S Turkey, extending c.350 mi (560 km) roughly ...
- Taurus: meaning and definitions - Taurus: Definition and Pronunciation
- Anti-Taurus - Anti-Taurus: Anti-Taurus: see Taurus.
- Taurus, in astronomy - Taurus Taurus [Lat.,= the bull], in astronomy, constellation NW of Orion and lying on the ecliptic ...
- The 88 Recognized Constellations - The 88 Recognized Constellations In astronomical works, the Latin names of the constellations are ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring