Sixpence. (The Italian danaro, small change; Gipsy,
tawno, little one. Similarly a thaler is called a dollar.)
A proper name. (See Brewer.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tanner from Infoplease:
- tanner: meaning and definitions - tanner: Definition and Pronunciation
- Henry Ossawa Tanner - Tanner, Henry Ossawa Tanner, Henry Ossawa, 1859–1937, American painter, b. Pittsburgh; son of ...
- Campbell: meaning and definitions - Campbell: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mrs. Patrick Campbell - Campbell, Mrs. Patrick Campbell, Mrs. Patrick, 1865–1940, English actress, whose maiden name ...
- John S. TANNER - John S. TANNER (1944-Â ) TANNER, John S., a Representative from Tennessee; born in Halls, ...