(A). One who held lands in Ireland under the Celtic law
of tanistry. The chief of a sept. (Irish, tanaiste, heir
apparent to a chief.)
“Whoever stood highest in the estimation of the class was nominated
`Tanist,' or successor.”
E. Lawless: Story of Ireland, chap. iii. p. 27.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tanist from Infoplease:
- tanist: meaning and definitions - tanist: Definition and Pronunciation
- Tanist - Tanist (A). One who held lands in Ireland under the Celtic law of tanistry. The chief of a sept. ...
- tanistry: meaning and definitions - tanistry: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index T, t ta Taal Taanith Esther tab tabanid tabard tabaret Tabasco tabbinet tabbouleh ...
- Scone - Scone (pron. Skoon). Edward I. removed to London, and placed in Westminster Abbey, the great stone ...