(St.). Tammany was of the Delaware nation in the
seventeenth century, and became a chief, whose rule was wise and
pacific. He was chosen by the American democrats as their tutelary
saint. His day is May
1st. Cooper calls him Tammenund, but the correct word is Tamanend.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tammany from Infoplease:
- Tammany: meaning and definitions - Tammany: Definition and Pronunciation
- Tammany - Tammany Tammany or Tammany Hall,popular name for the Democratic political machine in Manhattan. ...
- Tammany: Bibliography - Bibliography See G. Myers, The History of Tammany Hall (1901; 2d ed. rev. and enl., 1917, repr. ...
- Tammany: Origins - Origins After the American Revolution several patriotic societies sprang up to promote various ...
- Tammany: Decline - Decline Tammany suffered a telling defeat in the election of 1932 and did not regain its former ...