(A). A travelling draper who calls at private houses to
sell wares on the tally system - that is, part payment on account, and
other parts when the man calls again
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tallyman from Infoplease:
- tallyman: meaning and definitions - tallyman: Definition and Pronunciation
- Tallyman - Tallyman (A). A travelling draper who calls at private houses to sell wares on the tally system - ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index T, t ta Taal Taanith Esther tab tabanid tabard tabaret Tabasco tabbinet tabbouleh ...
- Gombeen Man - Gombeen Man (The). A tallyman; a village usurer; a money-lender. The word is of Irish extraction. ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: T - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "T"