A quicksand. Applied especially to a part of the African coast
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Syrtis from Infoplease:
- Syrtis - Syrtis A quicksand. Applied especially to a part of the African coast (Greek syrtis.) Source: ...
- Christmas on Mars: A Fantastical Film Freakout Featuring the Flaming Lips - Starring Steven Drozd, Michael Ivins, Wayne Coyne, Kliph Scurlock, Scott Booker
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index swob swollen swoln swonk swonken swoon swoop swoosh swop sword sword bayonet sword ...
- John Milton - Paradise Lost: Book II - High on a Throne of Royal State, which far Outshon the wealth of ORMUS and of IND, Or where the gorgeous East with richest hand Showrs on her Kings BA
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: S - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "S"