Anglo-Saxon, Suth-rea (south of the river —i.e. the Thames), or Suth-rie (south kingdom).
Saddle White Surrey for the field tomorrow
Surrey is the Syrian horse, as Roan Barbary in Richard II. is the Barbary horse or barb. (See Horse.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Surrey from Infoplease:
- surrey: meaning and definitions - surrey: Definition and Pronunciation
- Surrey, Henry Howard, earl of - Surrey, Henry Howard, earl of Surrey, Henry Howard, earl of, 1517?–1547, English poet; son of ...
- Surrey - Surrey Surrey, county (1991 pop. 997,000), 653 sq mi (1,691 sq km), SE England. The county seat is ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/surrey - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Surrey - Surrey Anglo-Saxon, Suth-rea (south of the river —i.e. the Thames), or Suth-rie (south ...