(1 syl.) is from the Latin stylus (an iron pencil for
writing on waxen tablets, etc.). The characteristic of a person's
writing is called his style. Metaphorically it is applied to
composition and speech. Good writing is stylish, and,
metaphorically, smartness of dress and deportment is so called.
“Style is the dress of thought, and a well-dressed thought, like a
well-dressed man, appears to great advantage.” —Chesterfield: Letter ccxl. p. 361.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Style from Infoplease:
- style, in botany - style: style: see pistil.
- style, in literature - style style, in literature, the mysterious yet recognizable result of a successful blending of form ...
- high style: meaning and definitions - high style: Definition and Pronunciation
- pistil - pistil pistil , one of the four basic parts of a flower, the central structure around which are ...
- Color Psychology - Read how colors can affect people's mood and learn why color has different meanings in various cultures
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring