This mineral receives its name from Strontian, in Argyleshire,
where it was discovered by Dr. Hope, in 1792.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Strontian from Infoplease:
- strontian: meaning and definitions - strontian: Definition and Pronunciation
- Strontian - Strontian This mineral receives its name from Strontian, in Argyleshire, where it was discovered by ...
- strontium - strontium strontium [from Strontian, a Scottish town], a metallic chemical element; symbol Sr; at. ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index St. James St. James-Assiniboia St. James's Palace St.-Jean ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: S - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "S"