The babes of Strode are born with tails.
As Becket, that good saint, sublimely rode,
Thoughtless of insult, through the town of Strode,
What did the mob? Attacked his horse's rump
And cut the tail, so flowing, to the stump.
What does the saint? Quoth he, `For this vile trick
The town of Strode shall heartily be sick.
And lo! by power divine, a curse prevails -
The babes of Strode are born with horse's tails.
Peter Pindar Epistle to the Pope
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Strode from Infoplease:
- strode: meaning and definitions - strode: Definition and Pronunciation
- John Strode BARBOUR - John Strode BARBOUR (1790-1855) BARBOUR, John Strode, (father of John Strode Barbour, Jr., cousin ...
- Jesse Burr STRODE - Jesse Burr STRODE (1845-1924) STRODE, Jesse Burr, a Representative from Nebraska; born in Farmers ...
- John Strode BARBOUR, Jr. - John Strode BARBOUR, Jr. (1820-1892) Senate Years of Service: 1889-1892 Party: Democrat BARBOUR, ...
- Strode - Strode The babes of Strode are born with tails. As Becket, that good saint, sublimely rode, ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring