(A). A chimney-pot hat (q.v.).
“High collars, tight coats, and tight sleeves were worn at home and
abroad, and, as though that were not enough, a stovepipe hat was
worn.” —Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News, September,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Stovepipe Hat from Infoplease:
- stovepipe hat: meaning and definitions - stovepipe hat: Definition and Pronunciation
- Stovepipe Hat - Stovepipe Hat (A). A chimney-pot hat (q.v.). “High collars, tight coats, and tight sleeves ...
- stovepipe: meaning and definitions - stovepipe: Definition and Pronunciation
- Marcel Marceau - Marceau, Marcel Marceau, Marcel , 1923–2007, French mime, b. Strasbourg as Marcel Mangel. ...
- The Cat in the Hat - Starring Mike Myers, Spencer Breslin, Dakota Fanning, Alec Baldwin, Kelly Preston