Crown of St. Stephen. The crown of Hungary.
“If Hungarian independence should be secured through the help of
Prince Napoleon, the Prince himself should receive the crown of St.
Stephen.” —Kossuth: Memoirs of my Exile (1880).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Stephen from Infoplease:
- Stephen - Stephen Stephen, 1097?–1154, king of England (1135–54). The son of Stephen, count of ...
- Stephens: meaning and definitions - Stephens: Definition and Pronunciation
- Stephen: meaning and definitions - Stephen: Definition and Pronunciation
- James Stephens - Stephens, James Stephens, James, 1882–1950, Irish poet and fiction writer, b. Dublin. One of ...
- Saint Stephen, Christian martyr - Stephen, Saint Stephen, Saint, d. A.D. 36?, first Christian martyr, stoned at Jerusalem. He was one ...